Saturday 8 August 2015

Sailing Around Australia; Live Life While You Can


Great Sandy Straits, Fraser Island, QLD

8/8/2015 Live life

Have you heard stories about people who work hard all their lives to have enough money to retire on, only to drop dead or suffer a terrible illness a year from or after retiring.

My dad has a similar story. He had worked all his life to support his family, then made a couple of wrong decisions and had to start over. Start over he did, packing up from Perth and resettling in Melbourne. He had no dependents, so was free to explore and try whatever he liked to turn his hand to. Being a very sociable person he enjoyed playing golf and bowls, then he met and moved in with his new partner, Brenda. Seemed like he was going well and starting to enjoy life again, then he suffered his first stroke.

The first stroke was totally debilitating. He lost a lot of muscle control down his right side and had to basically learn to talk, walk and write all over again.  That was around 20 years ago.

During the last month, Dad suffered what was the fifth or sixth such stroke “event”. Each time he has been robbed of more independence. This one has taken away his ability to stand up, balance or even get out of bed by himself. The nursing home he lives in must call in 2 staff with a special lifting frame to pick him up and place him into the wheelchair where he spends the rest of the day.

I have just spent 2 weeks at home with my Dad. As I have written many times on my blog, the hardest part of our sailing around Australia adventures is leaving family and friends behind. A guilty cloud hangs over me to this day.

To avoid this spoiling our adventure, I have to look at the situation from an objective viewpoint.  If I was at home going to work everyday then I would not be any more available to my family than I am now. As I have proved during this visit, when they really need me, anywhere in the world is just a plane ride away.

The trip back and time spent in WA, made me ask myself, “why do we western civilizations spend so much time living to work and so little time living”.

If I could I would ask dead people what gave them the most joy and sense of accomplishment during their time on earth. I would bet that it wouldn’t be their work. Maybe some like doctors or people that discovered antibiotics or such like, but for the vast majority it would be something other than their job.

Leanne’s response to me when I put this question to her was, I think, more to the point. She says that managing to have a strong relationship with me (now over 30 years), seeing our 2 children become the beautiful people they are and having some business success are her achievements.

None of these have been easy. With all three subjects we have had some trying, difficult and turbulent times. But the rockiest road often has the best views. Each of the difficulties we faced from time to time has lead to a strengthening of our resolve to learn from the situation and grow from the results.

Part of our success, I think, is that we have often taken a different path from the norm. With that there has often been a great deal of risk. For example, buying a catamaran with the same money we could have bought an investment property was indeed a gamble for us. This was mainly because we had at that point spent a grand total of 20 days in our lifetime, sailing.

So if I could, I would encourage every one to start living to live and stop living to work. For me it started with finding an interest. I tried golf, motor biking, guitar lessons, going to university, playing volleyball and almost started pottery before finally stumbling upon cruising sailing as something I could get passionate about.

It doesn’t matter what it is for you. Could be paragliding, trekking through mountain ranges, discovering relics, living in a hippy commune or marathon running. As long as you find something other than working to get more joy out of your life.

If you’ve got an interest or a dream, go for it. We owe it to the folks who would love to be out there having a go at life but are unable to, like my Dad.

My son, myself and my Dad in happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment